Maintaining Healthy Dental Habits
Most people take for granted that keeping your teeth healthy must be a routine that you maintain for your entire lifetime. It doesn’t matter if someone in high school told you that you had beautiful teeth, you must work at taking care of your teeth every day to prevent issues and problems.
Here at Drummond Dental Care in Fairfax, VA, we can help you with maintaining that routine and ensuring that your teeth remain healthy for your lifetime.
Following is a list of healthy dental habits to follow to make sure your teeth stay pearly white and healthy.
- Never go to bed before you brush your teeth. Most people will brush their teeth every morning, but it is essential that you brush your teeth before bedtime because of all the bacteria that live in your mouth and the plaque that will lay around in there building up while you sleep.
- Brushing your teeth the right way. The way your teeth are brushed is just as important as whether you brush them or not. If you can’t do a good job brushing your teeth, then don’t bother brushing them. Move your toothbrush in a circular motion so it can get rid of the plaque that likes to stick to your teeth. If you don’t, it will harden and make it worse for possible gum disease (gingivitis).
- Your tongue is just as important. You probably did not know that plaque can sit on your tongue and build up there too. It can cause you to have bad breath and a host of other problems in your mouth. Brush your tongue when you brush your teeth.
- Do not forget to floss. There are so many who think that flossing is not necessary and don’t realize what flossing does for their teeth. It gets those gross little parts of food that got stuck in your teeth that sit there unseen and can cause more plaque to build up. If you can floss one time a day, it should be enough.
- Don’t forget your mouthwash. Most people skip using mouthwash because they don’t understand the importance of using it. It helps your mouth, teeth, and gums to be healthier in three ways: it will clean those hard to reach areas around your gums at the base of your teeth, help to re-mineralize your teeth and reduce the acid you have residing in your mouth.
Mouthwash helps to bring everything into balance that is going on inside your mouth. Talk to the dentists in Fairfax, VA at Drummond Dental Care for a mouthwash recommendation for you.
- Lay off or limit those acidic and sugary foods. Did you know that when you eat sugary foods that they convert to acid in your mouth? The acid can then start to erode your tooth enamel. Those acids are what causes cavities. By drinking coffee, tea, and eating fruits that are acidic, they will all wear down the enamel on your teeth as well.
- Guzzle plenty of H2O. I cannot say enough about drinking more water. Most dentists feel it is a good idea to drink water after each meal. If you can do this, it will get rid of some of the acid that was left behind in your mouth from the food and beverages you have eaten.
- You should make a trip to see your dentist every six months. Dentistry Fairfax has a stake in your teeth. Yes, you do take care of your teeth every day, but your dentist is the one that can put a real eye on problems with common dental issues like cavities, gingivitis, and oral cancer. Your dentist in Fairfax, VA, can get to the bottom of the problem and get rid of that plaque buildup by teeth and dental cleaning.